Alternative Seating

You may have heard about alternative seating lately, but what does that mean???

The short answer is:  the students get to choose where and what they sit on.

But why???  Some studies have shown that students will work better and for a longer period of time if they are comfortable in their surrounding.  I mean....we like to be comfortable while we work don't we.  How many times have you curled up on the couch to grade papers or taken off your shoes and put your feet up?

You might be thinking...oh no that would cause a big problem in my classroom.  CHAOS!!!!
Well I can tell you that it might.....at first...  After the first few days with proper guidelines, you can implement this in your classroom with very few problems.  This year my entire school has chosen to offer alternative seating and the kids love it!

Here are a few of the seating options that I have available.

1. Office Chairs - You do not have to go out and spend a lot of money on office chairs.  I found these in my school's storage room!








 2.  Hammock Chair - I just ordered this for my home.  I could not figure out how to use it there, so I brought it to school.  The kids love it!!  If you like this hammock, you can get it here.







3.  Saucer Chair - Again just found at home.  You could go to thrift stores or garage sales.  I always see these at those places.

4.  Bean bags - Found at home or thrift store.


5.  Loft - This is the main thing that I am most proud of.  The kids love this!  I actually made this out of pallets, left over carpet and padding, and lights.  I took two pallets and stood them up for the sides, then took another pallet to put on top of them for the "floor" of the loft.  I braced it up in the back to keep it more sturdy and put cheap boards from Lowes around the top for railing.  I was still a little nervous about kids climbing up there so I asked the school custodian to bolt it to the wall.  Wahlah!!!  You have an inexpensive alternative seating option that the kids absolutely love!  (I do have a rule that only one person can be up there at a time.)  I teach 6th graders.  If you teach smaller kids, two would probably fit with no problems.

Next year I am hoping to get at least one of these
It is a pod chair!!!!  I have been drooling over this for 2 years!!!

I hope this post has inspired you to try some alternative seating in your classroom.  Your kids will love it!!!

Do you have something else that you use as alternative seating?  Let me know!  I love new ideas!!!